Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sweet-lookin' Kicks...

One thing I didn't mention about the Horseshoe Lake Trail Run was the presence of a rep from Salomon (they make outdoor shoes and apparel).  As you might guess, he was showing off some trail running shoes.  One pair in particular caught my eye, the S-Lab Sense Ultra.  These things are just sexy:


I went ahead and tried 'em on.  They felt snug, even for me, and I generally like my shoes snug.  People with wide feet probably wouldn't like these.  For me though, I bet they'd be great, especially once a little broken in.  They're a hair lighter than the shoes I race in now (North Face Hayasa), which I find light, responsive, and fast.  These suckers are even more so??  And on top of that, they felt like they even have a little more cushion too.  The heel-toe drop is only 4 mm (normal is 10-12 mm; my trainers are 12, my racers are 10).  That'd be an adjustment for some people, but it gives you a more "natural" running motion, requiring you to stay closer to the midfoot or the balls of your feet.  If you're a hard heel-striker, these probably aren't for you, unless you're trying to break that habit and you want a kick in the pants to do it.

I'm perfectly happy with my current race shoes, but they'll wear out before the end of the year, so I'll need some new racers by the time I finish this series of Coastal Trail Runs.  The only problem?  The price tag: $180.  Yeesh!  Most good shoes run about $100.  Still, they might be worth it...

No comments:

Post a Comment