Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hangin' In There

After an inexplicably good-feeling brick session yesterday, my run this morning started off uninspiringly.  I felt sluggish, slow, weak, bad all-around.  And I was trying to do one of my hardest training runs, 14 miles, mostly hill repeats.  This might have to get cut short.

After three summits (this route has 12), I didn't feel that bad anymore.  Repeated glances at my watch told me that I was slow today.  So what?  I kept going.

At the end of the run, I finished all 14.1 miles and all 12 summits, all without even pausing to catch my breath (this has been happening frequently lately, even when I don't need it).  I was significantly slower than usual, but I managed to stick it out, and finished strong.  And when it comes to long-distance running, that's really what it's all about.  Runs like this one aren't sexy, but they're the runs that make the difference.  Running when it's not convenient and pushing through the tough days are when you become a good runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment