Sunday, August 11, 2013

Looking for Two New Trail Running Partners

As mentioned in another post, I'm in the market for a new pair of trail racers after a failed relationship with one pair, and I'm wide open to suggestions.  This may give you an idea what I'm looking for:

  • I'd like to get into a lower heel-toe drop (as low as 4 mm), but above that would be OK.  Nothing over 10 mm though.
  • 10 ounces, maximum.  That is a hard line.  Not going above.  Would prefer 8-9 ounces, and even less would be great.
  • Good traction, but not hugely deep lugs.  I don't run on the most technical trails.
  • Good cushioning.  50Ks need to be easily do-able.  Ideally, 50-milers too, and maybe more.
  • I'm a very slight pronater.  A neutral shoe is fine.  One for mild pronaters is also fine.  Any more motion control than that is bad.
  • I don't like white.
  • I don't like neon.
  • Black is great.  Bright (non-fluorescent) colors, if there are only one or two, are also great.  For examples, this and this are cool, this and this are not my favorite. (worth noting - two of those are the same shoe in different colors)

My current pair of trail racers are the North Face Singletrack Hayasa, and I've been very happy with them.  They basically fulfill all of the requirements above rather nicely, though I'd prefer a little more cushion and a slightly lower heel-toe drop, both without adding weight.  I've had my eye on the Brooks PureGrit 2, but I'm not sure, especially since I'd rather not get something a little heavier; I'd rather go in the other direction (not sure about the color scheme either, and yes, that matters).  The ones I'm sending back are the Salomon S-Lab Sense Ultra.  Again, aside from the achilles tendon issue, I really like them, and they're sexy!

I know I could always just get another pair of my old ones, but I just like to try new things, and for some reason, I'm always convinced that there's always something better out there, just waiting to be discovered.  It's not so much that I'm unhappy with what I have, but I just like thinking that the best is yet to come.

If you've got a good suggestion, I'd love to hear it!  Leave it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment