Sunday, April 14, 2013

Valley Forge

After a couple weeks of not taking training very seriously, and even missing out on a marathon, it's time to get back in business.

My next marathon isn't until May 11th, basically a month from now.  That gives me four weekends in a row without a race.  Four consecutive weeks where I don't have to taper on Thursday or Friday.  Four consecutive Saturdays and Sundays just begging for long training runs and bike rides.  I consider it imperative that I take full advantage of this training opportunity.

On top of that, I really need to start eating better again.  I've been falling victim to sweets too often lately.  And I need to stay on top of my strength exercises too.  I haven't been taking those seriously since last fall.

So I need to run more, bike more, and do more push-ups, pull-ups, and core work.  And eat less.  And let me tell ya, getting stronger while losing weight is one of the hardest things you can do.  You're in caloric depletion at all times and have to dig down for energy to do anything.  And in that state, you're trying to get better, run faster, work harder, stay tougher longer, even on less fuel than normal.  Not easy.  This month will be difficult, but if I stick to it, the payoff will be significant.

And here I'm whining about trying to lose five pounds and get a few seconds faster.  To those that are trying to lose 20-30 pounds and get in good shape after no exercise for decades, I don't know how you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment