Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fighting the Doldrums

Last Monday I went for a normal morning run.  Half a mile into it, I stopped for no apparent reason.  I started up again after a minute or so.  A quarter mile later, I stopped again.
"My head just isn't in it today, huh?" I thought to myself.  I jogged another quarter mile back to my building, got a breakfast taco, showered, and went to work.

It wasn't even a good breakfast taco, either.

To some degree, I think I'm losing a little bit of a mental edge.  I really need something to keep me going upstairs.  I may have found it today, something of a new mantra.  Will post later if it sticks and starts working.

As much as I'm having a hard time with consistently sticking to my training schedule, I'm doing just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to eating.  I really need to lay off the sweets and stop picking the heavier, meat-oriented items at the cafeterias at work.  And I need to eat a little less in general.  Well, if I run as much as I should, maybe I don't need to eat that much less.  I dunno.  The point is I'm currently eating more than I need to, and not making the best choices.  That needs to change.

I wound up doing brick training today (a bike ride followed immediately by a run).  Haven't done that in a long time.  Wound up feeling pretty good; maybe I should do that more often.  Not a whole lot, mind you, but after my long rides on weekends, follow that up with a couple miles on foot.  Think that'll re-establish a little bit of toughness, both in my legs and in the mental arena, in a "you're never done" kinda way.

No comments:

Post a Comment